Sunday, March 10, 2013

Stuff and other ramblings...

In my recent travels, I've picked up a few things.  I told you about one thing; the Poly Pad but I managed to get my grubby hands on a few other things.

Up first is a new girth.  Charlie needed a new girth...well, not really but I thought it looked comfy and sort of cool (cool as in temperature cool) so I bought it.  It's a Professional's Choice SMX Ventech and both of us quite like it.  I've always steered clear of the Professional's Choice girths because they look hot but this one has holes in the neoprene.  And the elastic is very stretchy so Charlie approves.  The best part is I can put it in the washing machine.

Next is Canter Silk Mane and Tail Conditioner - I remember reading about this stuff on Pia's and Prairie's Parade but thought nothing could be better than Cowboy Magic.  Boy was I wrong - this stuff is amazing!  It keeps the tail feeling like I just washed it even though I haven't washed Charlie's tail forever.  Great stuff and I like it even more now that SmartPak carries it...

And finally, I picked up some EquiFit Ankle boots.  I've had the open fronts for a while now but needed something for the hinds for show jumping and a tack trailer at the show in Aiken just happened to have some.  I quite like them although I would love them if they were brown.  I'm on the hunt for some brown show jumping boots (front and back) that aren't leather - I don't want the maintenance associated with leather.  Also, no fleece for the same reason.

Now for the ramblings.  Not sure if I mentioned it but Charlie has lost some weight during his recent travels so I decided to add some cocosoya oil to his diet.  I was going to do ground flax but I was worried about it going rancid in the heat of the summer so after some research and cost comparing, I went with the oil.  I've also upped his hay so he has the fescue round bale supplemented by lots of orchard/alfalfa mix.

Hanging out while I set up some jumps - he stands in the middle of the ring and supervises while I do all the heavy lifting.

WonderPony has been quite wonderful lately.  Two lessons this week - one on Wed with Carolyn and one on Thurs with Amy.

16 comments:

  1. Wee shopping spree! Charlie looks super cute in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I've been looking for a new mane/tail conditioner, I'll have to try that one! And Charlie looks GREAT in that picture! Sooo handsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - highly recommend the canter stuff. It's really quite amazing.

      Delete
  3. Love me the Equifit boots. In terms of the oil, I've had my mare on wheat germ/soy bean oil and rice bran oil (I alternate between the two). They've both worked well with adding a little bit more 'fill' to her body. Good job on avoiding flax (man that stuff can get expensive quickly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the thing with the flax was I could buy a 50lb bag for $37 or a little tub for $25. I couldn't wrap my head around the price difference. I also thought about the rice bran oil but he gets rice bran in his grain so I decided to go with something a little different for variety. Not that he cares! ;)

      Delete
  4. Do you like the Canter conditioner better than the showsheen gel? That's what I use, but am always on the hunt for a better product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness, I have not ever used the showsheen gel but this stuff works a billion times better than the showsheen spray. I would give it a whirl as I totally found it worth the money.

      Delete
  5. I would send you a link, but you don't need me to find it. Nunn Finer makes open fronts and ankle boots in brown with neoprene lining. It's a step down from t boots for sure, but I keep thinking about them.

    And then I think how Cuna hates neoprene and I'm stuck. Might work for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neoprene makes me cringe. Although, if I don't use them on a regular basis, it doesn't bother Charlie. I can't use Woof boots on an everyday basis because they make his legs break out in crud. Chestnuts...sigh. I know you feel my pain...

      Delete
  6. I love how he stands watching, that is awesome! Henry follows me around lol :)

    Looks like you scored on some new things woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much work to move around! Haha! He's so lazy!

      Delete
  7. Wandered over here from Hillary & Houston B's blog, Charlie is one handsome chappie. Have to say I am a massive fan of Canter Mane & Tail spray, love the stuff! which reminds me - mine is almost empty...must restock!
    Word to the wise though - if you plait his mane I wouldn't use the spray on it beforehand as I find it can be harder to keep a grip on when plaiting afterwards...might just be me though!
    Looking forward to back-tracking a bit to learn some more about ye and then keeping up to speed with what you get up to! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aoife! Thanks much for stopping by! Yes, I think the Canter stuff on the mane would be disastrous.

      Delete