Sunday, October 28, 2012

Why does everything cost money?!?!

Seriously!  This month has been a little expensive to say the least.  Where to begin (this would be why I need to update a little more often, huh ;))?

I had a new vet out about 2 weeks ago to do a meet and greet as well as a baseline lameness exam.  I wasn't really expecting her to find anything because I haven't really noticed Charlie feeling funny and the trainers certainly haven't said anything.  Well, I should have known better - ignorance is bliss, right?  She poked and prodded and when she got to the S-I joint, Charlie just about sat down.  It only got better from there  - sarcasm.  I'll spare you all the little details but suffice it to say after several digital x-rays and some joint injections, I'm considerably poorer.

Since Charlie needed a few days off to recover and I had to go to GA for my Navy stuff, he had 6 days off.  Since I'm brilliant, I thought it would be a fantastic idea to go to Pine Top to school XC for his first ride back.  And because I'm trying to be thrifty in my new found poor state, I thought it would be an even better idea to take Charlie to the farrier before going to Pine Top.  Timeline went like this:  6 days off, spend Sunday night in (because his feet have to be super dry for the glue to work), get on the trailer straight from the stall Monday morning, go to Aiken and get new kicks, get back on the trailer and go an hour south to Pine Top and school by myself (SuperMom was on the ground for obvious safety reasons).  Brilliant and thrifty, right?  Let's just say it wasn't my brightest idea but since I was bright enough to buy the Wonder Pony, I lived to tell about Monday.  Charlie was very good considering the circumstances.  My main goal was to trot through the water several times since he was a little sticky there this spring.  Mission accomplished along with a few hard core bucks which fortunately didn't result in me hitting the dirt.

The rest of the week was fairly light until Friday when we trekked up to Amy's for a lesson.  Amy got on him which was really cool.  It used to be when I was younger and dumber, I couldn't understand why someone would pay someone else to ride their horse - kinda defeats the purpose, right?  Well, I get it now.  He looked so pretty!  She had some really great insight and I left with some awesome homework.  Basically, Charlie needs to be quicker with his hind feet.  I lose him out the backend and the way I feel it is he gets a little stiff in his face.  The name of the game is he MUST be quicker off my leg and I MUST keep after him to keep his feet moving behind.  It's a lot of work.  But since he's the Wonder Pony, he's getting it!  He was quite good today and I've only been practicing for 2 days.  Yay!

So besides having Charlie, one of the ways I deal with stress is to buy stuff - back to being brilliant...  Well, I've been wanting one of those Rambo Helix sheet thingys and managed to find this one on sale no less from a shop in the UK.  Even better, unlike SmartPak (which I love!), they have it in grey!  Total score!  Total cost after shipping (which costs more than the sheet itself) is $82.  Still less than SmartPak.  I have decided I just need to move to England - everybody rides there and tack stuff is way cheaper.  What's not to like?

 
Random sunset photo from the barn.  You can see the mountains in the background - so pretty!

 
Charlie eating and looking a little chubby!  Yay for a chubby thoroughbred!

 
This, my friends, makes me very happy!  Never thought I'd be happy about gas being $3.06/gal...


 Guess who got a haircut just in time for the 35 degree weather?  The dopey look is courtesy of the pre-haircut cocktail Charlie consumed.


We're going back to the Carolina Horse Park next weekend as long as I survive this week.  School has been a serious drain and the main reason I haven't been posting very regularly.  It's kind of a day by day survival thing.  While I'm seriously apprehensive about facing the job market again, I cannot wait to be done with school.  Only 5 more weeks!

11 comments:

  1. Holy cow, don't even get me started on why everything costs money, I could go on forever! I'm glad Charlie is looking chubby! He looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just about to have a lameness exam done, and needless to say, am afraid. I guess I can kiss winter shows goodbye!

    P.S. I do most of my online horsey christmas shopping at Rideaway in the UK. They are very accommodating when it comes to shipping, always arrives on time, plus is way more affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megs - I don't know whether to claim you as my new best friend or my worst enemy! ;) I just checked out Ride-away - prices are crazy! What the heck?!?! Waiting to see how much shipping is going to be on some Woof shipping boots that actually come in O/S which Charlie most definitely needs. They are about $100 less than what I would pay if I ordered them from Dover (who just happens to have outrageous shipping costs and that would be why I almost never order anything from them!). Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
    2. Glad you like it! They are so wonderful its practically dangerous. When I ordered some fun brow bands from them last christmas, they even sent them in a regular envelope so that I could avoid duty fees (yes, i'm cheap).

      Delete
  3. I never order from Dover either because of the ridiculous shipping unless I can find a code on retailmenot.com
    Charlie is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helix sheet? Score!! I've been wanting one, but the whole money thing. I don't dare look up your new store right now... just have to file that away. Glad Charlie is feeling better and didn't dislodge you in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I have to say is stay far, far away from the website Megs mentioned...

      Delete
  5. Wish we could all win the lotto!!! :)

    Charlie looks good with his new hair cut! Want to come do Henry next? He is easy- no special cocktails needed haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - lottery! My favorite saying is "you can't win if you don't play!" ;) I need to play more often because I soooooo need to win!

      I would love to clip Henry for you - I actually like clipping. Too bad the opposite coast thing puts a damper on that plan!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad charlie is feeling better, sorry you are poorer for it though. I thought it was sad the other day when I was filing up and I thought "Score $4.09 a gallon!" then I remembered when I started driving gas was barely $2.25/gallon.

    ReplyDelete