Friday, September 14, 2012

What happened to last week?

Oh my goodness!  I have been busy, busy.  School is a bit out of control and I find my time management is a bit lacking.  Here's a brief rundown because unfortunately for me, there has been little riding.

I rode on Friday but for the life of me I can't remember what we did - flat work most likely.  I showed up on Saturday morning ready to ride but Charlie walked out of the field with this.

Not sure if you can see it but the leg is swollen.  He's had this cut for awhile and I was pretty diligent about putting stuff on it and it seemed to be finally healing.  Then this.  I was really worried he might be developing cellulitis but he wasn't sensitive and he was sound.  But because I'm a horsie hypochondriac, he spent the day inside with wraps.  When I went back that evening to feed, it wasn't any better but it wasn't any worse so I tossed him out.  I had a 12 hour shift in the ER on Sunday so SuperMom was called into action to make sure he was still ok.  The little bugger was fine with zero swelling.  Of course he was, I couldn't ride on Sunday...

Monday was spent going up to North Carolina to get some hay.  Hay guy says this is the worst year he's ever seen for hay so I'll be making another trek back up to stock up on one more bale to ensure we have enough to last the winter.  I get hay that comes from the midwest because I'm scared of coastal.  Charlie will be feasting on the most gorgeous alfalfa-orchard grass mix.  It really is beautiful.

Tuesday and Wednesday was spent in clinical - 12 hr shifts.  SuperMom took care of the wonder pony for me and got him ready for me so I could sneak in a 20 minute ride Wednesday evening after clinical. She is really super!

Thursday I had a test and planned to ride after class.  SuperMom was kind enough to run out and feed him for me where she discovered him minus a shoe.  Bad pony!  I was so bummed because I had a lesson set up for today and he's going to the farrier tomorrow!  Silly horse - couldn't you have waited a day?


I still went to the barn after class so I could outfit him in a gorilla tape bootie.  The red tape is so I could find it if it fell off.  


I ordered Charlie a new bridle and made him model before breakfast hence the unhappy face.  It's not exactly what I want but Jamie at Five Star Tack is so awesome she's ordering me a nose band that doesn't have the stupid loop for a flash.  I promise better pictures when the new nose band comes in.


Charlie has to stay in tonight because we're going see Bruce, the farrier, tomorrow.  His feet have to be as dry as possible for the glue to stick.  You'll notice he's sporting a new cribbing collar cover, courtesy of SuperMom.


  1. Man he keeps you on your toes! If it's not one things its another. I think he needs to the wrapped head to toes to tail in bubble wrap lol :)

    1. ^ this haha

      Hopefully his shoe goes on without a problem and his leg heals quickly.

    2. Haha! Not really - its just been a tough summer. He's sound so knock on wood he stays that way! He makes up for it by being so dang cute! ;-)