Thursday, January 26, 2012

It finally happened...

Well, I've been waiting for this day for awhile now.  I knew it was only a matter of time and in a weird way, was kind of looking forward to it.  I knew it needed to happen for any number of reasons and just hoped I would be laughing after it happened.

I fell off.  And while I wasn't laughing afterwards, I wasn't hurt (well, I reserve the right to whine).  I haven't fallen off in forever - meaning I haven't fallen off in over 10 years.  I hate to fall off; really, really hate to fall off.  While I don't really think anybody enjoys it, I hate it so much I will do just about anything to stay on...anything.  I should probably learn how to bail better as I came really close to Charlie's feet this go around.  Now for the positives - I now know I can fall off and get back on again (more on that later) and I know Charlie is most likely going to stand there looking at me like I'm an idiot instead of running off (definitely a good thing).  I will tell you it's a loooooong way down from a 17.1hh horse

Here's how it happened: things were going pretty well - I was doing our normal figure-8 routine and he seemed happy enough.  I cantered to the right with no problem and then I changed directions and asked for a left-lead canter.  Well, I never got the left lead (at least I don't think I did) - Charlie pretty much launched us into outer-space.  I stayed on for a decent amount of time - I would have hung onto his ear if I thought that would have kept me in the tack.  But in the end, I just couldn't reach his ear (I'm kidding before anybody tells me that's probably not such a brilliant idea) and hit the dirt.  I'm pretty sure my shoulder hit first, then my hip.  I did hit my head so I guess that means I have to suck it up and buy a new hat.  What I'm most proud of though is I got back on.  And not only did I get back on, I made him do several trot-canter to the left and the right.  I finished up with some more trot work - basically, I rode for another 15 minutes or so.

I'm not really sure what set him off.  I have my suspicions and I think most of the blame falls on me (big surprise) although, I don't necessarily agree with his reaction.  I'm not going to over-analyze it here (I've done enough of that in my head).  Let's just say my trip to Southern Pines couldn't come at a better time.

I did ride today and we jumped.  I just tried to make it a fun, fight-free ride.  Basically, he got to run around looking like a giraffe.  I just wanted him forward and off his forehand.  Mission accomplished.  I did some grid work - bounces and bounce to a one-stride.

The trailer is all packed - it's crazy how much junk Charlie has.  Good thing nobody is coming with us.  I leave tomorrow after clinical.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get out a little early so I don't get caught in Charlotte traffic!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are okay. I fell off twice in 2011 (hopefully that gets my 2012 fall over with..) I have this weird superstition that you HAVE to fall off once a year, but if you haven't come off in 10 years that's pretty dang good :)

    Also, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the getting back on that rocks! I seem to be really good on the falling... {{{sigh}}}

    ReplyDelete